EDC Mania forums

Full Version: Bahco Laplander 396 folding saw
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This saw is part of my bushcraft kit (besides Fallkniven F1 or Mora 860MG/Bahco 2444 knives + firesteel), so it' s a sort of a "woodland EDC":

[Image: 2i7ya94.jpg]

I like it because it's relatively small and lightweight, makes excellent bi-directional cut in both soft and hard wood, and its rubbery surface simply sticks to the hand. Typical example of Scandinavian design: function, visual appeal and quality - all in one. They're also available in orange/black and without anti-friction coating (that's a cheaper version but functionality is retained, I also have one of those).

Highly recommended item for all you woodsmen who pack lite and thus don't carry an axe.

Cheers,

Tam
I have a very similar one for bushcraft too! Smile

But maybe mine is not as good quality as yours because it's from a local Chinese shop from here. It cost me about around 3 or 4 euro if I remember well.

Mine has double line of teeth, I don't know how it's called. So do yours? Big Grin It works pretty well too!

It also has a lock system as it was a "back lock" (it locks automatically and you have to press a button to unlock it, it's good since I have seen in other shops other versions with a worse lock). The blade has a kind of coat, seems surface-protected with glue or vanish or something like that.
Mine was 32 Euros, bought locally. It came with a leather lanyard and had NATO order code on its packaging. Agricultural (pruning) version is around 20 Euros here.

Teeth are branded Bahco XT, but I don't know the exact term for this type of toothing. They're VERY sharp and hard, have uneven length and cut equally good in forward and backward motion.

Coating is black powder epoxy AFAIK, and there is a sort of liner lock.

Cheers,

Tam
Ohh seems pretty good quality! Smile I meant, does it have two lines of teeth or just one? Mine has also uneven length I think, I don't remember now (I will have to post pics!).

Is epoxy coating for blade or just for handle?
There are definitely two rows of teeth.

It looks somewhat like a saw blade on Victorinox lock-blade multitools, but I doubt I'd be able to sharpen it properly with a file, sharpening pattern has some weird angles.

Blade is epoxied (painted logos wear off quickly though), and handle has a no-slip rubbery finish (green grip). Black handle parts are hard plastic.

Cheers,

Tam
Now you mention it, maybe mine has also epoxy too and that's why it seems glued Big Grin Is there anyone with similar saw too?
I've used saws just like that and they work amazingly! I do a lot of landscaping and brush removal. They're worth it.
(01-27-2012 11:24 PM)TheKnifeGuru Wrote: [ -> ]I've used saws just like that and they work amazingly! I do a lot of landscaping and brush removal. They're worth it.

Yep, and they're excellent fruit pruners too. My friends' dad tested the cheaper (orange/blk) version on some fruit trees and said that it had performed great.

Cheers
(01-28-2012 12:38 PM)tam Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-27-2012 11:24 PM)TheKnifeGuru Wrote: [ -> ]I've used saws just like that and they work amazingly! I do a lot of landscaping and brush removal. They're worth it.

Yep, and they're excellent fruit pruners too. My friends' dad tested the cheaper (orange/blk) version on some fruit trees and said that it had performed great.

Cheers

Yea, I've done TONS of landscaping and my version of that still works.
A testimony to the proverbial quality of Swedish steel (and design/manufacturing in general, if you ask me).

Cheers,

Tam
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's