The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Illegal string offset 'birthday' - Line: 105 - File: inc/plugins/imagebirthday.php PHP 5.5.38 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/imagebirthday.php 105 errorHandler->error
[PHP]   imagebirthday_profile
/inc/class_plugins.php 100 call_user_func_array
/showthread.php 394 pluginSystem->run_hooks
Warning [2] Illegal string offset 'birthday' - Line: 105 - File: inc/plugins/imagebirthday.php PHP 5.5.38 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/imagebirthday.php 105 errorHandler->error
[PHP]   imagebirthday_profile
/inc/class_plugins.php 100 call_user_func_array
/showthread.php 1245 pluginSystem->run_hooks

We have received 33% of our goal
Server costs

Forum Affiliates

Your banner here / Tu banner aquí

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
flashlight strobe mode
06-20-2011, 07:01 PM
flashlight strobe mode
So there is finally a place where one can talk about strobe modes without scaring people? awsome!

Langcjl, proud to be a member of EDC Mania forums since Jun 2011.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-21-2011, 10:21 AM
RE: flashlight strobe mode
Ha . I don't mind strobe modes. My friends kids love it. I let them play with my lights and they love strobe mode.

eeedddccc, proud to be a member of EDC Mania forums since Jun 2011.
06-21-2011, 12:11 PM
I've never had to use SOS mode before, but I think strobe sometimes can be useful. I am glad that the BLF custom lights will be without the disco modes, however. Did I just contradict myself? The first of many times to come. So if CPF is known as "the other place", what will be the nickname for BLF? "The other good place?" I wonder how many posts I need to get rid of my newbie status... There's probably a FAQ available, but I usually don't read the instructions until something goes wrong.

[Image: UmbrellaEyes350x100.jpg]
06-21-2011, 03:06 PM (This post was last modified: 06-21-2011 03:17 PM by edcmania.)
Strobe is not only not scaring but it will also welcome, you had a good idea Smile I will create a forum just for Strobe, what do you all think about that? Big Grin hehehe. Personally, I don't use it too much, just for fun, but I understand it's useful to annoy people when they want to attack you as well as many other things.

Regarding levels, I think you need 25 messages to reach next level, I am not sure now. Don't worry, the next level won't be "Super newbie" or something like that, haha Big Grin

I am slowly creating FAQs in Spanish and I want to translate them to English soon. But there is no one about levels in any language yet because I would like to change the name of levels and make them more personalized according to this forum. Any suggestions with the new level names? Smile Something related with EDC.

EDIT: I have just created the new forum called "Flash, Strobe and similar" and I moved this thread there. I hope you like it Smile

EDC Mania: Your Every Day Carry forums! Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-26-2011, 08:23 PM
It's OK to have strobe but as a hidden option (or in a 2nd menu level), otherwise it can be a nuisance.

I've read stories about people who allegedly defended themselves from stray dogs using a powerful strobe. Never tried it myself, but that could be useful. In my city it's not legal to kick or pepper-spray a dog even if you're being attacked by one (pepper-spray is legally treated as a firearm, and stray animals enjoy more legal protection than humans do).

With a strobe you can attract attention of rescuers if you're in distress, or warn careless car drivers of your presence if you're riding a bicycle in traffic (with a flashlight mounted on the handlebar).

And if you're a LEO doing a tactical forced entry, it is probably OK to set your strobe to random frequency and let it burst at full power one moment before you enter the room, yelling, with your submachine gun ready to fire Icon_cheesygrin

BTW, strobe may provoke an epilleptic attack in sensitive persons, did you know that?

Cheers,

Tam

EDCMF #17
06-28-2011, 08:17 AM
I'm always prepared for an attack by an epileptic dog.

Langcjl, proud to be a member of EDC Mania forums since Jun 2011.
06-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Hehehe I can swear that I would care too much about law if one or more dogs attacked me. I would spray all of them, at least Big Grin And I do really love animals!

I think your life is more important than the possibility to be fine carrying a pepper spray although it depends on the quantity you would have to pay of course. Here in Spain some pepper sprays are legal, they weren't in the previous years (I think this changed due the rise of crime over here).

I wouldn't trust a flashlight strobe mode for that, we could try if we didn't have anything more. Furthermore, I don't think that would work with daylight. Anyway, it's good to be prepared and it's better to have it than not. I also prefer strobe modes that are hidden but easy to access.

I have no idea but I think that strobe would be more effective against another person than against a dog. I prefer don't have to discover it Smile

06-29-2011, 02:41 PM
(06-28-2011 08:17 AM)Langcjl Wrote:  I'm always prepared for an attack by an epileptic dog.

LOL Icon_lol

Quote:Furthermore, I don't think that would work with daylight

True, not much use for a strobe in broad daylight Wink

Cheers,

Tam

EDCMF #17
07-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Maybe some animals are more sensitive to them even in daylight, I have no idea. What about strobe with other colours? for example red.

01-27-2012, 10:13 AM
(06-26-2011 08:23 PM)tam Wrote:  It's OK to have strobe but as a hidden option (or in a 2nd menu level), otherwise it can be a nuisance.

I've read stories about people who allegedly defended themselves from stray dogs using a powerful strobe. Never tried it myself, but that could be useful. In my city it's not legal to kick or pepper-spray a dog even if you're being attacked by one (pepper-spray is legally treated as a firearm, and stray animals enjoy more legal protection than humans do).

With a strobe you can attract attention of rescuers if you're in distress, or warn careless car drivers of your presence if you're riding a bicycle in traffic (with a flashlight mounted on the handlebar).

And if you're a LEO doing a tactical forced entry, it is probably OK to set your strobe to random frequency and let it burst at full power one moment before you enter the room, yelling, with your submachine gun ready to fire Icon_cheesygrin

BTW, strobe may provoke an epilleptic attack in sensitive persons, did you know that?

Cheers,

Tam

I think the strobe mode is pretty usefull for (tactical) self-defense at night, because you are disorienting your assailant. I mean... some quick bursts of ledlight in your eyes in a dark environment...

“Beware the fury of a patient man.”

rpouwels, proud to be a member of EDC Mania forums since Jan 2012.

flashlight strobe mode
Current time: 10-23-2017, 01:35 PM
User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Author: Langcjl
Last Post: tam
Replies 15
Views 3008