The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Illegal string offset 'birthday' - Line: 105 - File: inc/plugins/imagebirthday.php PHP 5.5.38 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/imagebirthday.php 105 errorHandler->error
[PHP]   imagebirthday_profile
/inc/class_plugins.php 100 call_user_func_array
/showthread.php 394 pluginSystem->run_hooks
Warning [2] Illegal string offset 'birthday' - Line: 105 - File: inc/plugins/imagebirthday.php PHP 5.5.38 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/imagebirthday.php 105 errorHandler->error
[PHP]   imagebirthday_profile
/inc/class_plugins.php 100 call_user_func_array
/showthread.php 1245 pluginSystem->run_hooks

We have received 33% of our goal
Server costs

Forum Affiliates

Your banner here / Tu banner aquí

Tags: collect,

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why do you collect?
06-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Why do you collect?
I was wondering and curious, why do you collect such items as knives, multitools, flashlights, guns, etc? Do you buy your items to use or do you buy to have a collection of items? I am the type of person that would rather have a few items that I use rather than a huge collection of items to just look at. What are your thoughts on this?

s1mp13m4n, proud to be a member of EDC Mania forums since Jun 2011.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-25-2011, 12:42 AM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2011 12:57 AM by edcmania.)
RE: Why do you collect?
In my case, it started as an interest (I like flashlights and folding knives since I am a kid) to become a passion much later (I started collecting them a few years ago) and finally a kind of obsession Confused

So I decided to just buy those I will really use or I would really like to collect and they have something special. Anyway I have focused mainly in cheap flashlights and cheap knives, otherwise I couldn't afford them. Now I will focus in better quality, often more expensive (not always), but I am not willing to spend too much... I hope Big Grin

My keychain flashlight is an iTP A3 EOS Upgrade Edition, so I don't need anything more in this area.

I have already found my almost-perfect multipurpose flashlight: a Zebralight H51 that uses AA (I have Eneloops for it as well as other branded low-self-discharge batteries). So I have filled that gap too (although I would like to try the warm white... oh, that never stops! it never has an end if you don't stop it by yourself with your willpower).

For going to mountain, hiking, camping, etc. I would like to purchase a Fenix TK41 one day. Maybe there will be a newer model when I can afford one.

I would also like to have a good headlamp because Zebralight H51 is not a pure one and the LED Lenser H7 I have has become old (I would like to have one with R5 or S2 at least) and I don't think it's really waterproof. So I could trust on Fenix for that too (I don't have any Fenix flashlight yet, though) although LED Lenser H7 offers me dimmable intensity and focusable beam and that's hard to get together in just one headlamp.

By the way apart from flashlights and knives, I also like to buy some tools, multi-tools, keychains, gadgets, survival gear, old consoles and video games, etc...

Well, summarizing, when you start it's hard to stop Sad I mainly collect because I like that pieces and I have used many of them (all flashlights but not all knives... yet).

EDC Mania: Your Every Day Carry forums! Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-25-2011, 07:46 AM
For me it began when I've bought my first really usable flashlight (2*C-cell incandescent, local brand) as a kid. I was completely amazed by its (ringy, yellowish) beam and a focus ability, hanging out with friends at night and projecting hotspots at buildings from hundreds of yards. Later I moved on to some Varta penlights and small Mags, and now I have mostly small (EDC) Fenixes and Jetbeams, two Petzl headlamps and a few self-built or modded small lights. My favourite battery formats are AAA and AA, since they're widely available in primary or rechargeable version. Major step forward in my collecting will be a move to 18650/2*RCR123 powered lights, but' I'll have to think it over yet. Advice to younger members: flashlight collecting is addictive Icon_twisted

I've also had a collection of crappy pen knives, which I later replaced by SAKs and some mediocre locally produced folding knives, followed by various Victorinox multitools and Opinels. This passion grew even bigger with years to come, spreading to fixed-blade knives (originally built or modified for bushcraft), fire-starting gear, survival kits, bumbags and backpacks, cycling gear etc.

Cheers,

Tam

EDCMF #17
06-25-2011, 08:54 AM
I bought my first real light to replace a mini mag I wore on my utility belt. Once I saw what a real light could do I was hooked. I love gadgets and flashlights are gadgets that are actually useful. I was doomed from the start.

Langcjl, proud to be a member of EDC Mania forums since Jun 2011.
07-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Tongue RE: Why do you collect?
It all started with my first S&W(Homeland Security model) knife from my local sporting good store, from that day on i knew i would collect and use them as tools. I loved how it felt in my hands, the sound of the click when flicked. I mainly collected cheaper knives at first (S&W) until i became more interested in different knives, i soon after found the perfect knife after watching nutnfancy's video (youtube) on the Spyderco tenacious ..... And the evil addiction of knives, flashlights .. began Icon_evil.

To answer you're question why i collect ? I may be a bit OCD.Icon_cheesygrin
Knives to me are a piece of art, the different blade shapes, curves, colors, sizes, materials .
They are also a tool for everyday use; opening letters, cutting cardboard box, cutting your seat belt in case of a car accident.
My knife can be used in a self defense senerio .Knife ( Hope it never happens)Big Grin.
Take care and stay safe
gen1.3_

calitactical, proud to be a member of EDC Mania forums since Jul 2011.
01-23-2012, 10:45 PM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2012 10:47 PM by SouthernEmpire.)
I started collecting out of the need to always be prepared. From a young age I always carried two tools with me, a knife and a flashlight. With these tools I could see when it was dark, signal help if I ever was in need, defend myself if needed, and just about any other job that came up.

This has led to a collection of knives, flashlights, multitools, BOBs, med/trauma kits and anything else I may need. In addition the two knives and the two flashlights (one for utility and one for defense. each can pull double duty if needed) I have on my person everyday, wherever I go, I have two more in each vehicle, in my nightstand along with a pistol, as well as a multitool and med/trauma kit in each.

I only have one knife that is a Safe Queen, and I own a mix of inexpensive and high end tools, but all serve a purpose and serve it well.

SouthernEmpire, proud to be a member of EDC Mania forums since Jan 2012.
01-24-2012, 05:44 AM
I always catch crap from my wife about my collections. I have tupperware containers full of random different flashights, knives and multi tools that I've collected over the years. My EDC flashlight/knife/multi tool whether I'm in uniform or civilian clothes (are my favorite choice from my collections) and are as follows:

Streamlight Polytac LED
Benchmade 9100
Gerber (can't remember the model off hand)

In my Jeep I have a 2-Cell LED Mag Lite up front in brackets by my seat, and will be installing a 3 or 4-Cell LED Mag in the back..

Bluedragon436, proud to be a member of EDC Mania forums since Jan 2012.
01-24-2012, 03:31 PM
For me, it started with an early interest in all types of knives, but it really started when I bought a kubotan for use in martial arts classes.
Since then I've became aware of the functionality and I'm now a level 2 pocket stick instructor.

By now, i'm trying to move as lightly, but efficiently equipped as possible, but always carrying my kubotan with keys attached.

“Beware the fury of a patient man.”

rpouwels, proud to be a member of EDC Mania forums since Jan 2012.
01-27-2012, 09:27 PM
lol, It all first started out when I got my Gerber International pocket knife when I was really young. I love that little thing.
Since then I just became addicted. I mean it just clicked, you couldn't stop it. Its UNSTOPPABLE!!!
lol

And then I was under age... lol, buying stuff from friends, getting the pre-loadable visa's and ordering online... that sort of stuff. After doing all that I started to buy and sell knives and defense products like pens.

It's just been growing and growing. I now have a collection of +150 knives and stuff.
You can't stop it!

>.> Give it a "like"

TheKnifeGuru, proud to be a member of EDC Mania forums since Jan 2012.
02-01-2012, 02:31 AM
I don't collect. I buy items I will use and usually limit it to one item per category. I don't have multiple EDC knives, multi tools, lights etc.

Soappeddler, proud to be a member of EDC Mania forums since Jan 2012.

Why do you collect?
Current time: 06-26-2017, 10:26 AM
User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Author: s1mp13m4n
Last Post: Mercury
Replies 11
Views 1610