The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Illegal string offset 'birthday' - Line: 105 - File: inc/plugins/imagebirthday.php PHP 5.5.38 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/imagebirthday.php 105 errorHandler->error
[PHP]   imagebirthday_profile
/inc/class_plugins.php 100 call_user_func_array
/showthread.php 394 pluginSystem->run_hooks
Warning [2] Illegal string offset 'birthday' - Line: 105 - File: inc/plugins/imagebirthday.php PHP 5.5.38 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/imagebirthday.php 105 errorHandler->error
[PHP]   imagebirthday_profile
/inc/class_plugins.php 100 call_user_func_array
/showthread.php 1245 pluginSystem->run_hooks

We have received 33% of our goal
Server costs

Forum Affiliates

Your banner here / Tu banner aquí

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Steel wool vs. 9V battery (BBC Bang Series)
07-10-2011, 04:01 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2011 04:14 PM by edcmania.)
Check this out:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bang/handson/steel_wool.shtml

However it can be useful to know this technique, but I don't normally carry this kind of stuff when I head for the woods.

Also seen it on some Disc0very survival show - some guy and gal stucked in a desert in-the-middle-of-nowhere, pulled 6LR61 alkaline battery and fine steel wool from their kit to start a fire - it was plain lame Smiley_puke_ani

In my childhood I wasn't aware of this property of steel wool - there were no Internet and Disc0very Channel (lucky my parents, hehe..) Icon_cheesygrin Smiley_fire

Cheers,

Tam

EDCMF #17
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2011, 04:19 PM
RE: Steel wool vs. 9V battery (BBC Bang Series)
Personally I always carry in my personal survival kit (when I go to the woods) a 9v battery among with a little of wool steel. I really recommend it, it works pretty fine! Battery can be user for other purposes too (and so the wool steel I believe).

EDC Mania: Your Every Day Carry forums! Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-10-2011, 04:43 PM
(07-10-2011 04:19 PM)edcmania Wrote:  Personally I always carry in my personal survival kit (when I go to the woods) a 9v battery among with a little of wool steel. I really recommend it, it works pretty fine! Battery can be user for other purposes too (and so the wool steel I believe).

Pls take no offense, I guess I'm probably too old and corny. It's just fine if you tried that stuff and it works for you, but looks kind of staged on a TV show.

I carry a mini-size Bic butane lighter in my surival kit, and a firesteel attached to my knife with a Ranger band. I even carried plain safety matches until recently Big Grin

Cheers,

Tam

EDCMF #17
07-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Hehehe sorry I am not sure if I understand well, do you mean you don't believe it works or do you mean it's better to use lighter? It really works, but of course lighter is better Smile Firesteel is good too, but I think battery with steel wool works even better! Wink Of course, maybe firesteel is more reliable in more conditions since it not depends on a voltage of a battery, but I am not sure.

07-10-2011, 10:20 PM
(07-10-2011 04:54 PM)edcmania Wrote:  Hehehe sorry I am not sure if I understand well, do you mean you don't believe it works or do you mean it's better to use lighter? It really works, but of course lighter is better Smile

No doubt it works, lots of people use steel wool and 9V batt as primary fire-starting devices (especially in the US).

I'm just attached to traditional means and therefore much closer to Nessmuk/Kochanski mindset than a Bear Grylls' fire-and-forget practicality. And if old skool skillz fail (never happened!) I still have my little Bic from a local supermarket Wink

BTW, have you ever started a fire using a forged firesteel, flint and horsehoof fungus tinder? That experience makes you treat fire with due respect and a notion that nothing is granted, but earned the hard way.

Cheers,

Tam

EDCMF #17
07-13-2011, 11:23 AM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2011 11:28 AM by edcmania.)
Oh I understand now, thanks Big Grin Hehehe yes I agree but anyway if you can have with you more fire-starting methods when you are in a difficult situation they are always welcome. And the 9v battery method is quite funny! Smile You can also use the battery for a flashlight if you have one which uses this kind of 9v battery (yes, they are not common sadly).

I tried firesteel with other stuff but never fungus tinder, etc. Sad I want to try one day soon! But I am used to make fire with not too many resources since I am a child as my mom taught me Smile (she lived in Spanish civil post war and they were very poor and had to make fire using very little). Pineapples and leaves from pines are very good to start a fire, for example Big Grin All this topic is very interesting and useful, you never know when you will need it.

07-13-2011, 08:58 PM
(07-13-2011 11:23 AM)edcmania Wrote:  You can also use the battery for a flashlight if you have one which uses this kind of 9v battery (yes, they are not common sadly).

Well, check this out...

Cheers,

Tam

EDCMF #17

Current time: 06-27-2017, 07:12 AM
User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Author: tam
Last Post: tam
Replies 6
Views 1468